TN Visa » For Canadians and Mexicans Working in the United States (NAFTA)
Are you a Canadian or Mexican citizen trained as a professional in one of the eligible professions according to the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)?
Do you wish to use your skills and knowledge to temporarily work in the United States for a company who has offered you a position? If so, you may qualify for the TN Visa.
We have provided a synopsis of the TN visa for you, including some of the questions and answers you may want to know before applying.
Who Qualifies or is Eligible for the TN Visa?
The TN visa is for individuals and families who are Canadians or Mexicans. This visa is also for businesses who are looking to fill a role in their US organization and not for a business itself.
The applicant must be the individual who has the job offer and not the business. The applicant must be seeking temporary residence for work in the United States and must have a valid job offer for a job listed on the qualifying NAFTA occupation list.
To be eligible for the TN visa, applicants must meet the following:
- You are a citizen of Canada or Mexico
- Your profession qualifies under the regulations
- The position in the United States requires a NAFTA professional;
- You have a prearranged full-time or part-time job with a US employer (but not self-employment)
- You have the TN visa education requirements to practice in the profession in question
What is the TN - NAFTA Visa
The TN - NAFTA visa is for Canadian and Mexican individuals, families, businesses, or investors seeking temporary residence in the United States for work.
TN Visa Professions
An abbreviated list of professionals who are eligible to seek admission as TN non-immigrants is as follows:
- Graphic Designer
- Urban Planner
The full list of occupations can be found here.
How to Apply for the TN Visa/What are the Required Documents for a TN Visa Application
Proof of citizenship (such as a birth certificate or passport) is required, along with a temporary offer of employment from a US employer, copies of relevant educational degrees, diplomas, and certificates, as well as letters of reference from previous or current employers confirming your experience in your occupation.
What is the TN Visa Processing Time
Processing times for the professional worker visa varies depending on several factors:
- The office or service center responsible for processing the file
- The type of non-immigrant visa
- TN visa interview wait times (if applicable)
- Whether the applicant can qualify for an expedited interview appointment
- Whether Expedited processing is available
- Whether Premium Processing is available
- Providing insufficient or incomplete documents can lead to delays in processing and even denials
Top 10 Reasons for Refusal of the TN Application
While there are many reasons why your TN visa application could be refused, we have listed the top ten most common ones here:
- Current and or past immigration status and history for the US or abroad, including overstaying and unauthorized employment
- Insufficient funds to support themselves during their stay
- Incorrect or incomplete petition
- Insufficient supporting evidence
- Conflicts with travel documentation
- Health concerns
- Suspicious of malicious intent
- Problems with background check
- Criminal history/Being convicted of a crime/Suspected or known ties to terrorism
- Material Misrepresentation
The TN Visa » Other FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
What does TN stand for in TN visa?
TN stands for Trade National. This is a non-immigrant visa (visa for temporary work) for nationals of Mexico and Canada who are seeking temporary work in the US. The TN visa was created by the North American Free Trade Agreement.
Can I apply for a TN visa without a job offer?
No you must have a job offer from a US employer in order to apply for the TN visa.
How long can you stay in the US with a TN visa?
You can typically stay in the US for a period of up to three years on a TN visa and you may be able to extend it.
Can you live in the US with a TN visa?
You can live in the US temporarily with a TN visa
What is a TN petition?
A TN petition is a document that is filed by a US employer to hire a Canadian or Mexican citizen to work as a professional.
Why Contact My Visa Source for an Assessment?
Congratulations on taking your first step toward temporarily working and living in the United States.
The more research you do on the immigration process, the more you will learn about your specific situation and how we can help you navigate the TN visa process.
Lawyers at My Visa Source dedicate themselves to your immigration case, providing legal representation tailored to your personal situation.
Our expertise focuses on immigration and visa programs for the United States and Canada, including global immigration.
Partnering with an award-winning immigration team greatly increases the likelihood of achieving your specific immigration or visa goals.
Begin Your TN Visa Application Today!
Securing personalized legal help is quick and simple. Begin with our one-minute online immigration assessment form or call us toll-free at 1-888-509-1987.
We have a dedicated team of licensed professionals standing by, ready to answer your immigration and visa questions.
Immigration is a complex process that requires strong legal strategy, precise paperwork and perfect attention to detail, reducing the risk of wasted time, money or permanent rejection.
Book a personal consultation to speak with an award-winning immigration lawyer over the phone or on Skype.