Canadian Immigration News

Pathways to Permanent Residency on a Work Permit

3 minute read
Are you living and working in Canada as a temporary resident on a work permit? Do you wonder how you can transition into a permanent resident? Today, we will review some of your clearest pathways from work permit to permanent resident.
Written by My Visa Source Team
Published on:  Jun 7, 2023
man holding a passport
Begin your immigration journey now
Click and fill out a free online assessment to see how we can help you. It takes less than 1 minute to fill out.
Free Assessment
Call and speak to our team, so that they can book a time with a licensed immigration professional who will answer all your questions.
Call Us Now
Author info:

Are you living and working in Canada as a temporary resident on a work permit? Do you wonder how you can transition into a permanent resident? Today, we will review some of your clearest pathways from work permit to permanent resident.

Find out more about which Canadian immigration programs you are eligible for with your experience in Canada on a work permit.

Immigration Pathways to Permanent Residence

Canadian immigration is known for its wide range of streams and programs, catering to individuals of different backgrounds. There is always a path that you can explore.

As an individual who has already lived and worked in Canada, you are well-positioned to apply for permanent residency. Your experience in Canada can be beneficial to any immigration application.

Below are some solid options for you to explore as you decide how to transition from a temporary resident to a permanent resident of Canada.

Express Entry Programs

Express Entry is a very popular immigration system in Canada. It allows immigrants to join a pool of candidates who are all eligible for one of the following programs:

These programs are great options for those on a work permit looking to transition to permanent residence in Canada.

Looking specifically at the Federal Skilled Worker Program, applicants will be eligible if they can meet the following requirements:

  • Have one year of continuous full-time skilled employment in the last ten years (or part-time equivalent)
  • Level 7 on an English or French proficiency test
  • Canadian high school diploma or foreign equivalent
  • Finances to support yourself and any dependent family members
  • Plan to reside outside of Quebec

Another great option for transitioning off of a work permit and into permanent residency is applying through the Canadian Experience Class. To be eligible for this immigration program, applicants must:

  • Work in an occupation under the NOC skill level 0 or A jobs
  • Work experience must be outside of any work required for programs of study
  • Level 7 on an English or French language proficiency test
  • Plan to reside outside of Quebec

In any case, when applying through Express Entry, you'll need to collect as many points as possible for your best chance of being selected. Calculate your CRS score with MyVisaSourceBot, our CRS Chatbot.

Provincial Nominee Programs

Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) are designed for provinces to address their labour market needs by nominating immigrants to live and work in their specific province.

Almost all Canadian provinces and territories have a PNP. You can learn more about each provincial program and its specific requirements here:

Applying for a PNP typically includes receiving an applicable job offer from an employer in the appropriate province or territory, and you can take this step easier if you are already residing in that province on a work permit.

Quebec Experience Class

Quebec immigration operates separately from other provincial programs and federal immigration programs. One option you could explore if you are interested in permanent residency in Quebec is the Quebec Experience Class Program

This program is an option for temporary foreign workers or international students living in Quebec. As a foreign worker, you can become a permanent resident through this program if you have at least 24 months of full-time skilled work experience and are fluent in French.

Other requirements for the Quebec Experience Class include the following:

  • You must plan to live and work in Quebec
  • You have already lived in Quebec as a temporary resident
  • You have intermediate levels of French language proficiency
  • Sufficient finances to support yourself and dependent family members
Questions About Immigration? My Visa Source Has Answers.
My Visa Source stays updated on all immigration news and announcements across Canada and the United States, including sudden changes in government law. Our legal solutions help individuals, families, businesses and investors from North America and around the globe.
Get The Personalized Help That You Need and Deserve!
Securing personalized legal help is quick and simple. Begin with our one-minute online immigration assessment form or call us toll-free at 1-888-509-1987. Book a personal consultation to speak with an award-winning immigration lawyer either in person, over the telephone, or through a video conference. We're open 6am-9pm PST & EST, 7 days a week and are ready for in person, phone, and video consultations.
Canadian Flag
Latest Articles from Immigration Magazine