How Quickly Can I Apply for a Visa After Rejection?

Author info:

shutterstock_442885870.jpgThinking of visiting Canada? The visa process for visitors can be complicated and messy. Reapplying for a rejected visa can be daunting, but having the right information at hand can greatly simplify the process.

What Now?

There is no appeals process for a visa application – if your application for a Canadian visa is denied, your only recourse is to submit a new one. This process can be started at any time, barring a citation on your decision letter stating otherwise. It’s recommended that you re-submit only if your situation has changed or if you wish to add significant new information that was omitted from your original application.

There is no mandatory waiting period for re-application – unless otherwise noted, you may apply again for a visa at any time after your first rejection. However, sending the same application a second time without additional information is likely to result in rejection for the same reasons as the first.

If you are looking to apply or reapply for a Canadian visa, here are some factors to consider before putting ink to paper.

Do I Need a Visa?

Depending on your country of origin, you may not need a visa to visit Canada. Visa-exempt foreign nationals may need an Electronic Travel Authorization, while US citizens can visit Canada freely, without the need for a visa or ETA. The Government of Canada’s immigration guidelines can help you to find out which applications you’ll need for your trip.

What Is the Nature of Your Trip?

Generally speaking, temporary travellers to Canada fall under the purview of the visitor visa. Depending on your reason for visitation, your application process may be slightly different.

Applying as a tourist – applicable to those travelling to Canada for leisure, sight-seeing, or other miscellaneous purposes. According to the government of Canada, in order to apply as a tourist, you must:

  • have a valid travel document, such as a passport,
  • be in good health,
  • have no criminal or immigration-related convictions,
  • convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country,
  • convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit, and
  • have enough money for your stay.

Applying as a businessperson – applicable to those travelling to Canada for investment or business related purposes. According to the government of Canada, business applicants must have:

  • a letter of invitation from your potential business partner in Canada; and
  • 24-hour contact details for that person.
  • Identification cards or proof of employment.

In addition, you must show that:

  • you plan to stay for less than six months,
  • you do not plan to enter the Canadian labour market,
  • your main place of business, and source of income and profits, is outside Canada,
  • you have documents that support your application and
  • you meet Canada’s basic entry requirements.

Applying to visit children or grandchildren – a super visa is available for those wishing to visit children or grandchildren in Canada. In order to be eligible, you must demonstrate:

  • your ties to your home country,
  • the purpose of your visit,
  • your family and finances,
  • the overall economic and political stability of your home country, and
  • an invitation from a Canadian host.

Additionally, you must also:

  • provide a written statement from that child or grandchild that he or she will give you financial support,
  • have valid Canadian medical insurance coverage for at least one year and

Aside from applying for a visa directly, you can also take advantage of a variety of federal programs aimed at helping newcomers through their applications process. Those looking to work in Canada can consider the Federal Skilled Worker Program and Provincial Nomination Program, while those looking to reunite with family can leverage Canada’s Family Sponsorship Program.

Work and Study Permits

If you’re looking to work or study in Canada, you’ll require additional permits on top of your visitor’s visa. You must apply for your work or study permit independently of your visa, from the Government of Canada website.   

Get It Right the First Time

Each visa application has different processes and prerequisites, depending on your status – consulting with a professional can help you save time and money in your application process. With firms in international hubs such as Vancouver and Toronto, My Visa Source is well-suited to meet your needs, and we are a BBB Accredited Business (Better Business Bureau).

To begin your journey, please click the blue “Start Your Assessment” button on the righthand side of this blog. We can quickly assess your needs and schedule a FREE consultation.

Subscribe to Our Blog