Due to the pandemic-related restrictions, international travelers were unable to apply for a work permit at the Port of Entry (POE). However, the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) recently re-authorized issuance of temporary work permits at the POE for foreign nationals, provided they meet certain requirements.
Who Can Apply for a Work Permit at the Port of Entry?
Foreign travelers, including family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents and those with a pre-arranged job offer, may apply for a temporary work permit at the POE. Both vaccinated and unvaccinated foreign travelers will be eligible to obtain this service. However, vaccinated travelers will be exempt from the Covid-19 testing and quarantine requirements.
Usually, temporary foreign workers must apply for a work permit before traveling to Canada. However, if they meet the following requirements, they can apply for one at the POE:
- Have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer
- Not be employed as a live-in caregiver or seasonal agricultural worker
- Employed under the International Mobility Program and does not require a temporary work permit
- Employed in a profession under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)
- Citizen or permanent resident of the United States, Greenland or Saint-Pierre, and Miquelon