4 Things Parents Need to Know About Canada's Family Class Sponsorship

Author info:

A family is waiting outside the airport with a huge smile on their faces.Are you wondering, "who is eligible to sponsor a dependent child to come to Canada?"

If you are over the age of majority, which is eighteen in Canada, and you are a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen, you are eligible to sponsor your child so they may join you, here in Canada.

The Canadian government defines a child as a person who does not have a spouse or common-law partner, who is under the age of 19 and unable to financially support themselves.

Alternatively, if a person is over the age of 19 but still relies heavily on the financial support of their parents due to their medical or mental condition can also be considered a dependent.

Please be aware of the process for applying to sponsor your child, and ask for help should you have questions because this is a complicated process that must be done right or you risk losing your application or extending the process unnecessarily.

There are two different forms that pertain to the sponsorship process and depending on where your child currently lives the process varies slightly. If your child is already living in Canada then you need to fill out a form pertaining to local sponsorship.

Don’t hesitate to ask for help with the form should the instructions be unclear at any point because your application will be returned if the form is not filled in correctly and this will delay your application.

Here are 3 other common questions, answered.

Can my parents come with me when I immigrate?

Your children and your common law partner or spouse are welcome to join you when you immigrate to Canada. If your dependent child has a child then that child is also eligible to join you in Canada.

If your spouse has dependent children, they are also welcome to join you when you immigrate to Canada. Unfortunately, your parents and grandparents are not considered dependents and may not immediately immigrate with you.

However, once you have immigrated and your status as a permanent resident is recognized, you can apply to have your parents or grandparents join you and your family.

How long does the application process to sponsor my dependent child take?

The best thing you can do is make sure all the paperwork is done correctly the first time. Improperly submitted applications will more than double the amount of time it takes. That’s because you have to wait to find out that steps were missed in the first place, while applications need to be sent back, and so on. This is definitely something you want to get right the first time.

To find out how long it will take, you will have to speak to your local office in Canada, as well as your country of origin. There are two different workloads and wait times in the mix, so you need to be sure to factor that in.

What is the difference between permanent residency and an application to be a sponsor?

The biggest difference between the two is simple, you must have permanent residency to apply as a sponsor. Once you have completed this step, you are then able to sponsor your children under the sponsorship program. You must send in two forms at the same time for a successful sponsorship.

The first is your application of sponsorship and the second is the permanent residence papers of your dependent child. Once this has been sent in, you can track your file online and perform some actions like, updating or changing your address, changing other pertinent information and finally, if you need to cancel or close the process, you can do that online as well.

Be advised that you are not alone in this process, consult with an attorney and never hesitate to call your nearest visa office because they will answer any questions you have, big or small! There are many people that want to help welcome you and your family into Canada so please don’t hesitate to ask.

Questions About Immigration? My Visa Source Has Answers.

Congratulations on taking your first step toward sponsoring your family in Canada. The more research you do on the immigration process, the more you will learn about your specific situation and how we can help you navigate through the Family Class Sponsorship process.

My Visa Source stays updated on all immigration news and announcements across Canada and the United States, including sudden changes in government law. Our legal solutions help individuals, families and businesses from North America and around the globe.

Partnering with an experienced lawyer can greatly increase the likelihood of achieving your specific immigration or visa goals.

Immigration is a complex process that requires strong legal strategy, precise submission of legal documents and perfect attention to detail, reducing the risk of wasted time, money or permanent rejection.

Start Your Family Class Sponsorship Process Today!

Securing personalized legal help is quick and simple. Begin with our one-minute online assessment form or call us toll-free at 1-888-509-1987.

We have a dedicated team of licensed professionals standing by, ready to answer your immigration and visa questions.

Book a personal consultation to speak with an award-winning immigration lawyer over the phone, on Skype or in-person at our downtown Toronto and Vancouver offices.

Let us help you with your unique immigration challenge.

It takes 1 minute to fill your Online Assessment!