Canadian Immigration News

When Can the Next Express Entry Draw for the Federal Skilled Worker Draw Be Expected?

3 minute read
"The Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) conducts an Express Entry draw every 2 weeks. So far during 2021, the IRCC has focused on inviting applicants to the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) and the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). 2021 has seen no draws for the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW)."
Written by My Visa Source Team
Published on:  Oct 7, 2021
welder working on a metal beam my visa source
Begin your immigration journey now
Click and fill out a free online assessment to see how we can help you. It takes less than 1 minute to fill out.
Free Assessment
Call and speak to our team, so that they can book a time with a licensed immigration professional who will answer all your questions.
Call Us Now
Author info:

The Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) conducts an Express Entry draw every 2 weeks. So far during 2021, the IRCC has focused on inviting applicants to the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) and the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). 2021 has seen no draws for the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW). Before the pandemic, the majority of all Invitations to Apply (ITA) issued went to the FSW applicants. The Comprehensive System Ranking (CRS) score requirement for the FSW applicants is generally lower than the rest of the pool. 

The Canadian government has set the target to welcome over 401,000 new immigrants in 2021 to offset economic recovery post-pandemic. In 2021, between January and July, Canada managed to welcome 184,215 new immigrants. The immigration target may well be achieved this year as long as no more hurdles are created by the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. 

What Is the Reason for No Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) Draws in 2021?

The main reason that the IRCC is not inviting applicants to the FSW is the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic. The pandemic has hindered the ability of overseas applicants to travel to Canada due to the several travels and border restrictions imposed internationally. Therefore, to meet the set immigration levels target, the IRCC shifted its focus on inviting applicants to the CEC and PNPs as they are already residing in Canada and would face fewer issues in applying for permanent residence. 

Another reason is to ensure speedy economic recovery after the pandemic. The pandemic negatively impacted many sectors of the Canadian economy and increased the demand for foreign workers in certain occupations. Therefore, by focusing on temporary foreign workers already in Canada, the IRCC is aiming to achieve economic recovery post-pandemic. 

When Can the Next Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) Draw Be Expected?

The next Federal Skilled Worker draw can be expected to take place only when the pandemic has been controlled. Between July and December 2020, the pandemic was somewhat under control and the IRCC conducted a few FSW draws. While it is impossible to predict the exact date when these draws will be conducted, they can generally be expected at the end of the pandemic. 

What Else Can Overseas Immigrant Applicants Do?

As overseas immigrant applicants wait for the IRCC to conduct FSW draws, they can look for ways to improve their CRS scores. A high CRS score will ensure that you receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) whenever the next draw is conducted. You can also consider alternative options for immigration to Canada, such as the following:

Provincial Nominee Program: 

The IRCC is still inviting Provincial Nominee Program applicants in Express Entry draws. Every month, at least 2 PNP draws are conducted to invite eligible candidates to apply for permanent residence. 11 out of 13 Canadian provinces and territories have their Provincial Nominee Programs.

Family Sponsorship: 

Having an immediate family member living in Canada as a citizen or permanent resident can help you in your way to obtain permanent residence. They can sponsor you through the Family Sponsorship Program for permanent residence in Canada.

Study Permit: 

If you want to travel to Canada for higher studies, you can always apply for a Canadian Study Permit. It is also a great way to obtain Canadian permanent residence as international graduates from designated learning institutions can apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) and become eligible for Canadian permanent residence.

Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program (AIPP): 

You can also apply for Canadian permanent residence through the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program if you want to settle down in one of the four Canadian Atlantic Provinces. These include Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador. The AIPP encourages economic immigration for skilled and semi-skilled foreign workers and international graduates to the Atlantic Provinces. 

Questions About Immigration? My Visa Source Has Answers.
My Visa Source stays updated on all immigration news and announcements across Canada and the United States, including sudden changes in government law. Our legal solutions help individuals, families, businesses and investors from North America and around the globe.
Get The Personalized Help That You Need and Deserve!
Securing personalized legal help is quick and simple. Begin with our one-minute online immigration assessment form or call us toll-free at 1-888-509-1987. Book a personal consultation to speak with an award-winning immigration lawyer either in person, over the telephone, or through a video conference. We're open 6am-9pm PST & EST, 7 days a week and are ready for in person, phone, and video consultations.
Canadian Flag
Latest Articles from Immigration Magazine