Canadian Immigration News

What Type of Jobs Qualify as CEC Work Experience?

2 minute read
"Did you come to Canada to work or study temporarily and fall in the love with the country? If so, you can use your skills to go from being a Temporary Resident to a Permanent Resident by applying for the Canadian Experience Class (CEC)."
Written by My Visa Source Team
Published on:  Feb 23, 2021
work experience spelled out in blocks in front of a laptop by my visa source
Begin your immigration journey now
Click and fill out a free online assessment to see how we can help you. It takes less than 1 minute to fill out.
Free Assessment
Call and speak to our team, so that they can book a time with a licensed immigration professional who will answer all your questions.
Call Us Now
Author info:

Between 2009 and 2014, over 50,000 individuals were admitted to Canada under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) program. Want to know if you qualify?Did you come to Canada to work or study temporarily and fall in the love with the country? If so, you can use your skills to go from being a Temporary Resident to obtaining Permanent Residence by applying for the CEC.

For Canadian immigration there are over 60 programs created for different reasons, so it is almost never simple, so let’s take a look at who qualifies for this CEC program, and the steps involved.

What Qualifies as Canadian Experience Class Work Experience?

To begin with, according to the Government of Canada, at the very minimum, successful applicants must:

  • Have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply,
  • Have gained your experience in Canada with the proper authorization,
  • Meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing and listening),
  • Plan to live outside the province of Quebec.

The type of work you plan on doing must also fall into one of three categories, as classified by the  Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC). Your job must fall under:

  • Managerial jobs (NOC skill level 0)
  • Professional jobs (NOC skill type A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)

That may seem a bit limiting, but that actually encapsulates a lot of potential jobs you can work.

What Type of Jobs Qualify for the Canadian Experience Class Under National Occupational Classification (NOC)?

There are far too many possibilities to list here, but let’s take a look at a few job titles.

Managerial jobs (NOC skill level 0)

Administrators - post-secondary education and vocational training

  • Advertising, marketing and public relations managers
  • Architecture and science managers
  • Banking, credit and other investment managers
  • Commissioned officers of the Canadian Forces
  • Commissioned police officers
  • Computer and information systems managers
  • Engineering managers
  • Fire chiefs and senior firefighting officers
  • Insurance, real estate and financial brokerage managers
  • Managers in health care
  • Managers in social, community and correctional services
  • Postal and courier services managers
  • School principals and administrators of elementary and secondary education
  • Telecommunication carriers managers

Professional jobs (NOC skill type A)

  • Financial auditors and accountants
  • Financial and investment analysts
  • Securities agents, investment dealers and brokers
  • Other financial officers
  • Human resources professionals
  • Professional occupations in business management consulting
  • Professional occupations in advertising, marketing and public relations

Technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)

  • Accounting and related clerks
  • Administrative assistants
  • Banking, insurance and other financial clerks
  • Collectors
  • Conference and event planners
  • Court clerks
  • Data entry clerks
  • Desktop publishing operators and related occupations
  • Employment insurance, immigration, border services and revenue officers
  • Executive assistants
  • General office support workers
  • Human resources and recruitment officers
  • Legal administrative assistants
  • Payroll clerks
  • Personnel clerks
  • Property administrators

If you are interested in immigrating to Quebec, the province has a similar program to the federal CEC program, called the Quebec Experience Program (PEQ).

Questions About Immigration? My Visa Source Has Answers.
My Visa Source stays updated on all immigration news and announcements across Canada and the United States, including sudden changes in government law. Our legal solutions help individuals, families, businesses and investors from North America and around the globe.
Get The Personalized Help That You Need and Deserve!
Securing personalized legal help is quick and simple. Begin with our one-minute online immigration assessment form or call us toll-free at 1-888-509-1987. Book a personal consultation to speak with an award-winning immigration lawyer either in person, over the telephone, or through a video conference. We're open 6am-9pm PST & EST, 7 days a week and are ready for in person, phone, and video consultations.
Canadian Flag
Latest Articles from Immigration Magazine