Alberta has introduced a new immigration program for international graduates living outside Canada. The Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) launched the Foreign Graduate Start-Up Visa program on January 27, 2021.
According to the Minister of Labor and Immigration, Alberta is currently accepting applications for the new program. This program is for foreign students who wish to establish their businesses in Alberta.
Who is Eligible for the Foreign Graduate Start-Up Visa Program?
To qualify for the Foreign Graduate Start-Up Visa program, applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Graduate from a post-secondary institution outside of Canada in the last 2 years with an educational credential that is equivalent to the Canadian degree
- Have at least 6 months of full-time work experience in business management or ownership or work experience with a business incubator or business accelerator
- Present a business plan with financial forecasts for at least 10 minutes focusing on investors’ needs
- Demonstrate language proficiency with a level 7 on the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) for English or French
- Own at least 34% of the business if located in an urban center
- Own at least 55% of the business if located outside of Alberta’s 2 major cities, Calgary and Edmonton
- Secure a minimum investment from your equity or a recognized Canadian financial institution, venture capital or angel investor before coming to Alberta
- Secure a letter of recommendation from an AINP approved designated agency
- Demonstrate sufficient financial resources to support your business and yourself while launching your start-up