Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) recently launched an online portal to allow Canadian permanent residents to apply for Canadian citizenship online. Now Canadian permanent residents can complete their citizenship application within a few clicks of their mouse.
The IRCC has assured applicants that the online portal is user-friendly and easy to navigate. Applicants will be able to save their application to complete it at a later date, upload all required documents and pay the application fee online. They will also be able to print a PDF and get a confirmation receipt.
Currently, the online application portal is open to applicants who are over the age of 18 and are:
- Applying as an individual and not with family
- Applying without a representative
- Not living outside Canada as a Crown servant or with a crown servant family member
The IRCC is working on making the portal available to applicants applying with family members, minors under the age of 18, representatives of applicants, and servants of the crown living outside Canada by 2022.
What Are the Requirements for Canadian Citizenship?
Only Canadian permanent residents who meet the following requirements can apply for Canadian citizenship:
- Have physically resided in Canada for at least 3 years in the last 5 years
- Have filed their income tax returns
- Have passed the citizenship test
- Met the language proficiency requirements