Canadian Immigration News

Does Your Job Qualify for Federal Skilled Trades Program

1.4 minute read
"Do you have a skill or trade that you think can help you in qualifying for permanent residency in Canada? Qualifying for the federal skilled trades program is a great way to make Canada your permanent home."
Written by My Visa Source Team
Updated on:  Feb 23, 2021
cheerful young couple tradespeople posing infront of their work van on brown background by my visa source
Begin your immigration journey now
Click and fill out a free online assessment to see how we can help you. It takes less than 1 minute to fill out.
Free Assessment
Call and speak to our team, so that they can book a time with a licensed immigration professional who will answer all your questions.
Call Us Now
Author info:

Do you have a skill or trade that you think can help you in qualifying for permanent residency in Canada? Qualifying for the Federal Skilled Trades Program is a great way to make Canada your permanent home.

Basically, you can qualify for The Federal Skilled Trades Program, if your job falls into these categories:

  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades,
  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades,
  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production,
  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators,
  • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks, and
  • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers.

That covers a wide range of actual job titles, within those categories. So does your job count?

Does My Job Qualify for the Federal Skilled Trades Program?

Your first step is to find out where your job falls under the National Occupational Classification (NOC). It needs to be classified as skill type B, according to their classification system.

There are far too many jobs that fall into this area to list here, so your best bet is to look for your job in the list by clicking here.

If your job title doesn’t quite match the one you’re looking at in the NOC list, that’s OK. It’s more important that you can prove you perform the duties and tasks listed in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC.

Take a look at our regularly updated Latest Express Entry Draw Updates and our Canada PNP Draw Updates.

Other Factors in Qualifying for Federal Skilled Trades Program

Outside of having a job/ skill that qualifies for the program, you must also:

  • Have at least 2 years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience) in your trade within the five years of your application
  • Work at least 30 hours over a period of one week, for two years in your skilled trade within the five years before you apply
  • Have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority
  • Take a language test and show that you meet the minimum language requirements
Questions About Immigration? My Visa Source Has Answers.
My Visa Source stays updated on all immigration news and announcements across Canada and the United States, including sudden changes in government law. Our legal solutions help individuals, families, businesses and investors from North America and around the globe.
Get The Personalized Help That You Need and Deserve!
Securing personalized legal help is quick and simple. Begin with our one-minute online immigration assessment form or call us toll-free at 1-888-509-1987. Book a personal consultation to speak with an award-winning immigration lawyer either in person, over the telephone, or through a video conference. We're open 6am-9pm PST & EST, 7 days a week and are ready for in person, phone, and video consultations.
Canadian Flag
Latest Articles from Immigration Magazine