US Immigration News

How You Can Invest and Immigrate to the US

2.25 minute read
"There are thousands of international entrepreneurs and investors who eagerly want to invest their capital in the United States. The US is a hub of opportunities for businesspersons with its open markets and thriving economy."
Written by My Visa Source Team
Published on:  Aug 31, 2021
compass with needle pointing at invest
Begin your immigration journey now
Click and fill out a free online assessment to see how we can help you. It takes less than 1 minute to fill out.
Free Assessment
Call and speak to our team, so that they can book a time with a licensed immigration professional who will answer all your questions.
Call Us Now
Author info:

There are thousands of international entrepreneurs and investors who eagerly want to invest their capital in the United States. The US is a hub of opportunities for businesspersons with its open markets and thriving economy. 

Now, it is a little tricky as a foreigner to understand and assess the best ways to invest in a new country. So, here is a guide to the US investor visas that will allow you to come to the US to establish or acquire your own business. 

What Are the Investor Visas Available in the US?

E-2 Visa

The E-2 Visa is a nonimmigrant visa for foreign nationals from certain countries who have signed a trade treaty with the United States. This visa allows residents of those countries to come to the US to invest. The minimum requirement for investment differs based on the type of business being established. 

The duration of the visa will depend on the applicant’s home country. To be eligible, you must be able to demonstrate the source of your investment, make employment for US citizens and permanent residents and be directly involved in the management and operation of the business. An E-2 visa will not get you permanent residence in the US, however, it can be extended. 

EB-5 Visa 

The EB-5 Visa is an immigrant investor visa that allows foreign nationals to immigrate to the US by investing $900,000 into a regional center government-approved project or 1 million to 1.8 million direct investment into a business of your choice.

Your business must also generate at least 10 employment opportunities for US citizens and permanent residents. The business must have a good chance of growth and success. This visa will allow the applicant to apply for permanent residence.

L-1 Visa 

The L-1 Visa is a nonimmigrant visa that allows business owners to come to the US to work in senior management or executive positions or as a person with specialized knowledge about business operations.

It has 2 categories: L-1A and L-1B Visas. The L-1A Visa allows the intra-company transfer of an executive or manager to the US to work in a position similar to their current one. This visa is not to establish a new branch or business in the US. The company must already have an office in the US to transfer its employees.

The L-1B Visa allows employees with specialized knowledge who have been employed with their current organization for at least 1 year of the last 3 years to transfer to the US branch.

The applicant must have specialized knowledge about the company’s product, service, research, equipment, techniques, management, or any other operation and its application in international markets, or an advanced level of knowledge or expertise in the organization’s everyday operations. 

Questions About Immigration? My Visa Source Has Answers.
My Visa Source stays updated on all immigration news and announcements across Canada and the United States, including sudden changes in government law. Our legal solutions help individuals, families, businesses and investors from North America and around the globe.
Get The Personalized Help That You Need and Deserve!
Securing personalized legal help is quick and simple. Begin with our one-minute online immigration assessment form or call us toll-free at 1-888-509-1987. Book a personal consultation to speak with an award-winning immigration lawyer either in person, over the telephone, or through a video conference. We're open 6am-9pm PST & EST, 7 days a week and are ready for in person, phone, and video consultations.
US Flag
Latest Articles from Immigration Magazine