Canadian Immigration News

Immigrating to Canada as a Teacher

3 minute read
Are you interested in teaching in Canada? The process is not as difficult as you might think. No matter your country, there is a pathway for you. Teachers are valued skilled workers in Canada, so if you have experience as a teacher, that puts you in a great position.
Written by My Visa Source Team
Published on:  May 1, 2023
teacher teaching student
Begin your immigration journey now
Click and fill out a free online assessment to see how we can help you. It takes less than 1 minute to fill out.
Free Assessment
Call and speak to our team, so that they can book a time with a licensed immigration professional who will answer all your questions.
Call Us Now
Author info:

Are you interested in teaching in Canada? The process is not as difficult as you might think. No matter your country, there is a pathway for you. Teachers are valued skilled workers in Canada, so if you have experience as a teacher, that puts you in a great position. On the other hand, if you have no teaching experience but dream of becoming a teacher in Canada, you can do that too. In every case, you’ll need to work toward meeting all the requirements to become a certified teacher in Canada.

Why Teach in Canada?

Canada is a great place to teach. Canadian teachers are some of the highest-paid teachers in the world. Teachers in Canada will also get summers off and only work from September to June each school year unless they choose to work in summer programs.

Canadian education is held in high regard worldwide, and being a Canadian teacher would allow you to be part of this education system.

Pathways to Immigration for Teachers

The two main pathways for teachers to immigrate to Canada are the Federal Skilled Worker Program and the Provincial Nominee Programs. Depending on your familiarity with Canada and prior experience, you can decide which option is best for you.

Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

The Federal Skilled Worker Program is one of three programs within Canada’s Express Entry immigration system, which is a pathway to permanent residence. As a teacher, you are considered a skilled worker in Canada.

To be eligible for this immigration program, you must:

  • Have one continuous year of full-time experience as a skilled worker
  • Score at least seven levels on an English or French language proficiency test
  • Have education equivalent to or higher than a Canadian high school diploma
  • Plan to live and work outside of Quebec

You can improve your chance of being chosen for Express Entry by obtaining a Canadian teaching certification or a teaching job offer before immigrating to Canada. Your selection will also depend on your familiarity with Canadian culture and education curriculum.

Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP)

Most Canadian provinces and territories offer a provincial nominee program, in which immigrants can gain a pathway to permanent residence by receiving a nomination from the province where they intend to live and work.

Provincial nominee programs are available in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador, Yukon and Northwest Territories. Most provinces have a need for teachers, so do your research and see which cities in your province of choice might be looking to hire new teachers.

While each PNP has its unique requirements, you can usually become eligible by obtaining a job offer from a designated employer in that province and if you are already living there on a temporary student or work permit.

Teaching Requirements in Canada

Before you can begin teaching in Canada, you’ll need to become certified as a teacher in your province. Becoming certified can take time, so starting your certification process well in advance is recommended. The requirements in each province may vary, but you will typically need a bachelor’s degree in education. In some cases, if you have teaching experience or certifications in a different country, it may not directly translate to the Canadian context. An option you may want to explore in this case is education-bridging programs at Canadian colleges to help prepare you to be a teacher in Canada.

Some teaching jobs in Canada do not require a teaching certificate. Some of these include early childhood, adult education and Montessori teachers. You would also not need a teaching certificate to teach an international language, or French or English as a second language. Additionally, music teachers may not require a teaching certificate, and neither do tutors.

Questions About Immigration? My Visa Source Has Answers.
My Visa Source stays updated on all immigration news and announcements across Canada and the United States, including sudden changes in government law. Our legal solutions help individuals, families, businesses and investors from North America and around the globe.
Get The Personalized Help That You Need and Deserve!
Securing personalized legal help is quick and simple. Begin with our one-minute online immigration assessment form or call us toll-free at 1-888-509-1987. Book a personal consultation to speak with an award-winning immigration lawyer either in person, over the telephone, or through a video conference. We're open 6am-9pm PST & EST, 7 days a week and are ready for in person, phone, and video consultations.
Canadian Flag
Latest Articles from Immigration Magazine