US Immigration News

E-2 Visa to EB-5 Visa: A Green Card Pathway

1.75 minute read
"The E-2 Treaty Investor Visa Program is a nonimmigrant visa for foreign entrepreneurs and their family members. This visa allows them temporary residence in the US to establish a business."
Written by My Visa Source Team
Published on:  Oct 15, 2021
older man in front of his laptop my visa source
Begin your immigration journey now
Click and fill out a free online assessment to see how we can help you. It takes less than 1 minute to fill out.
Free Assessment
Call and speak to our team, so that they can book a time with a licensed immigration professional who will answer all your questions.
Call Us Now
Author info:

The E-2 Treaty Investor Visa Program is a nonimmigrant visa for foreign entrepreneurs and their family members. This visa allows them temporary residence in the US to establish a business. It is also renewable. Sadly, many international entrepreneurs do not invest in the E-2 Visa as it does not offer an option for adjustment of status to permanent residence (Green Card)

Since the E-2 Visa is not a dual intent visa, you can not have the intention to immigrate to the United States while applying for the visa. However, it does not mean that you can not explore other options of immigrating to the US without violating the conditions of your E-2 Visa. 

How to Obtain a US Permanent Residence With an E-2 Visa?

Since E-2 Visa holders are required to establish their business in the US, they already have an existing business to invest in. One of the ways to obtain permanent residence in the US is through the EB-5 Investor Visa. The EB-5 Immigrant Investor program is the fastest and most reliable way for foreign entrepreneurs to get permanent residence. Candidates will be required to make a minimum level of investment in establishing a business based on the location of their business.

There have been a few fundamental changes in the past year to the minimum investment requirements for the EB-5 Visa. Other requirements include the creation of employment opportunities for US citizens and permanent residents.

Based on the recent changes, candidates who filed their petition after November 21, 2019, required a minimum investment as follows:

Minimum Investment 

Location of Business

Targeted Employment Area (TEA)


High-Employment Area


For candidates who filed their petition before November 21, 2019, the minimum investment requirement for TEA is $500,000 and for High-Employment Areas is at $100,000.

The TEAs are geographic areas with low employment levels. They are generally located in rural areas and smaller communities. As mentioned above, E-2 Visa holders already have a business in the US. They can easily invest in their existing business or through a regional center project as an indirect investment. Given they have enough resources, they can obtain US permanent residence. 

Questions About Immigration? My Visa Source Has Answers.
My Visa Source stays updated on all immigration news and announcements across Canada and the United States, including sudden changes in government law. Our legal solutions help individuals, families, businesses and investors from North America and around the globe.
Get The Personalized Help That You Need and Deserve!
Securing personalized legal help is quick and simple. Begin with our one-minute online immigration assessment form or call us toll-free at 1-888-509-1987. Book a personal consultation to speak with an award-winning immigration lawyer either in person, over the telephone, or through a video conference. We're open 6am-9pm PST & EST, 7 days a week and are ready for in person, phone, and video consultations.
US Flag
Latest Articles from Immigration Magazine