US Immigration News

What Are the Differences Between the K-1 and the Marriage Visa?

1.75 minute read
"Many people are confused between a fiance and a marriage visa. Here are some explanations that will clear things up."
Written by My Visa Source Team
Published on:  Aug 5, 2021
confused looking young woman
Begin your immigration journey now
Click and fill out a free online assessment to see how we can help you. It takes less than 1 minute to fill out.
Free Assessment
Call and speak to our team, so that they can book a time with a licensed immigration professional who will answer all your questions.
Call Us Now
Author info:

Many people are confused between a fiance and a marriage visa. Here are some explanations that will clear things up.

What Is the K-1 Fiance Visa?

The K-1 Visa, also known as the Fiance Visa, is for engaged partners of United States citizens who wish to come to the US to get married within 90 days of their arrival in the country. This nonimmigrant visa is also for foreign fiances who do not have another way of coming to the US. 

If they fail to marry within 90 days of arrival, then the foreign partner must return to their home country. It is a good option for couples who wish to spend some time together before getting married. 

What Is the Marriage Visa?

There are 2 types of marriage visas:

Spouse is Overseas

US citizens and lawful permanent residents are authorized by the US to file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, to sponsor the immigration of their spouse who is currently residing abroad. This allows the foreign spouse to apply for a marriage visa through the nearest US consulate. Spouses of lawful permanent residents will be required to wait for a visa to become available before applying for a marriage visa. 

Spouse is within the US 

If the spouse of a US citizen is currently residing in the US with a valid visa, then the spouse can file Form 1-130 and Form I-485 to adjust their status to a permanent resident.

The marriage visa process usually takes longer than a fiance visa. However, it takes only 4-7 months if the spouse is already present in the US and just needs to adjust their status.

What Are the Main Differences between a K-1 Visa and a Marriage Visa?

To be eligible for a K-1 Visa, you do not need to be married to your partner to initiate the process. They can come to the US to get married. They may apply for Adjustment of Status after getting married.

For a marriage visa, the applicant must be already married to their petitioner to start the visa process. They directly receive an immigrant visa and receive their green card once they have entered the US.

Questions About Immigration? My Visa Source Has Answers.
My Visa Source stays updated on all immigration news and announcements across Canada and the United States, including sudden changes in government law. Our legal solutions help individuals, families, businesses and investors from North America and around the globe.
Get The Personalized Help That You Need and Deserve!
Securing personalized legal help is quick and simple. Begin with our one-minute online immigration assessment form or call us toll-free at 1-888-509-1987. Book a personal consultation to speak with an award-winning immigration lawyer either in person, over the telephone, or through a video conference. We're open 6am-9pm PST & EST, 7 days a week and are ready for in person, phone, and video consultations.
US Flag
Latest Articles from Immigration Magazine