US Immigration News

What to Know About the Adjustment of Status to Your Green Card

1.75 minute read
"Living permanently in the United States is a dream for many people. However, to do so, you must gain lawful permanent residence in the US which is a long and difficult process."
Written by My Visa Source Team
Published on:  May 6, 2021
cartoon of hands filling out a visa form my visa source
Begin your immigration journey now
Click and fill out a free online assessment to see how we can help you. It takes less than 1 minute to fill out.
Free Assessment
Call and speak to our team, so that they can book a time with a licensed immigration professional who will answer all your questions.
Call Us Now
Author info:

Living permanently in the United States is a dream for many people. However, to do so, you must gain lawful permanent residence in the US which is a long and difficult process. 

Lawful permanent residents are known as Green Card holders. To complete the process of getting a Green Card, you must complete the Adjustment of Status process.

What is the Adjustment of Status to a Green Card?

As a foreign national living in the US and applying for permanent residence, you must complete a process known as Adjustment of Status. This process allows you to continue living in the US as a permanent resident without having to go back to your home country to finish the process. 

How to Apply for an Adjustment of Status?

To apply for an Adjustment of Status, you must be eligible for a Green Card. Your eligibility for this process will be based on the type of immigrant visa you have. You can apply for a Green Card through the following criteria:

  • Being an immediate family member of a US citizen
  • Being a spouse of a US citizen
  • Being employed by a US employer
  • Being a refugee or asylum seeker for at least 1 year

To adjust your status, you must submit Form I-485 or the Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). 

Once this application is approved, you will be called by the USCIS to submit your contact and biometric information at a local Application Support Center (ASC).

The USCIS may even schedule an interview appointment to ask questions about why you want to stay in the US permanently. Once the USCIS determines your eligibility, you will receive your Green Card.

How Long Does the Adjustment of Status Process Last?

Getting a Green Card is a long process and will take some time. Based on your immigrant visa, it may be processed within months or take a few years. If you want to avoid delays, it's best to hire an experienced immigration attorney to help you through the process.

Questions About Immigration? My Visa Source Has Answers.
My Visa Source stays updated on all immigration news and announcements across Canada and the United States, including sudden changes in government law. Our legal solutions help individuals, families, businesses and investors from North America and around the globe.
Get The Personalized Help That You Need and Deserve!
Securing personalized legal help is quick and simple. Begin with our one-minute online immigration assessment form or call us toll-free at 1-888-509-1987. Book a personal consultation to speak with an award-winning immigration lawyer either in person, over the telephone, or through a video conference. We're open 6am-9pm PST & EST, 7 days a week and are ready for in person, phone, and video consultations.
US Flag
Latest Articles from Immigration Magazine