What is Canadian Spousal Sponsorship?
Canadian spousal sponsorship is about bringing families together – after all, home is wherever your family lives.
Immigration Canada allows you to sponsor your loved ones for a life together within Canadian borders. Similar to most immigration programs, the government requires extensive paperwork, documentation, proof of your relationship to ensure that your application will succeed.
Who Qualifies for Sponsoring a Spouse to Canada?
- Canadian citizens, persons registered in Canada as Indian under Canadian Indian Act,
- Permanent residents living in Canada.
- Not receiving social assistance, other than help with disability.
- Able to financially provide for the needs of the person sponsored.
- In a married, common-law or conjugal relationship.
In rare cases, proof that you exceed a low-income cut-off point.
What Are The Support Requirements For Sponsorship?
Sponsorship includes a promise to provide financial support for the person sponsored, including dependent children. You’ll sign an undertaking which pledges support for these basic needs:
- Rent or mortgage, along with utility bills.
- Food and personal toiletries, like shampoo, soap and toothpaste.
- Clothing and other items necessary for daily life.
- Medical costs not covered by public health insurance, such as dental and eye care.
When you sign the undertaking to provide support, you remain financially responsible for your sponsor during the period of time which the sponsorship lasts.
Who Are The Most Successful Applicants For This Program?
We’ve helped people from more than 80 different countries around the world, from all walks of life, with their successful application for spousal sponsorship.
How Long Is The Processing Time For Sponsorship Applications?
Canada has improved the processing time for permanent resident visas over the years, with the standard application completed in 12 months. This processing time for spousal sponsorship to Canada may lengthen, depending on the details of your case.
Spousal Sponsorship Denied – Top Reasons For Refused Application
- Not enough proof of relationship to prove legitimacy.
- Errors when filling out Canadian spousal sponsorship forms.
- Misrepresentation of facts presented in your application.
- Inadmissibility due to a conviction or public safety issues.
- Unable to meet basic requirements for spousal sponsorship.
Canada Spousal Sponsorship Application FAQ
Does My Spouse Receive Canadian Citizenship?
After a successful sponsorship process, your spouse may begin to fulfill requirements to become a Canadian citizen. A spousal sponsorship could be the first step for your spouse to earn citizenship.
What Type Of Marriage Proof Do I Need?
There’s a wide variety of documentation that you may use as proof of relationship, including:
- Joint bank accounts.
- Filing tax returns as a couple.
- Shared bills, such as mortgage, rent and utilities payments.
- Traditional communication, including phone call logs and text messages.
- Social media communication, such as Facebook posts and messages.
- Sharing benefits offered by an employer.
- Statutory declarations from family and friends.
- Photographs of you as a couple.
Do We Need To Be Married For Canadian Sponsorship?
- Sponsorship isn’t only for married spouses.
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) spousal sponsorship programs accept applications for common-law partnerships and conjugal relationships. Canadian sponsorship law supports same-sex marriage and relationships from applicants in the LGBTQ community.
Fiancé(e) Visa Canada – Can I Choose This Option Instead?
Canada’s spousal sponsorship program includes applicants with fiancé(e), instead of a separate program for this type of relationship.
Do I Qualify For Spousal Sponsorship If I’ve Been Married Before?
Divorced sponsors are allowed to apply. If you’ve previously sponsored a spouse, that person must be a permanent resident for at least 5 years before you may sponsor another spouse.
Do I Still Qualify If I’ve Been Charged With A Criminal Offense?
You may still qualify for the spouse sponsorship program if you’ve been charged with a criminal offense. Certain criminal offenses will not disqualify you from the process, while others may require additional legal work for your application to succeed.
Does Spousal Sponsorship Include A Work Permit?
- How do I apply for sponsorship if I’m outside of Canada?
- Can my out of status spouse be sponsored in Canada?
- What proof do I need if I’m sponsoring my common-law partner?
- Do I need special proof of relationship for my same-sex sponsor?
- What relationship proof is required for conjugal relationships?
- Will I be able to sponsor a spouse with a criminal conviction?
Why Contact My Visa Source for a Consultation?
Figuring out how to sponsor a spouse to Canada can be complicated, even when you appear to meet Canadian sponsorship requirements. Even small, accidental errors may result in rejection, wasting months of time.
In a worst-case scenario, Canadian immigration might misinterpret a mistake as false representation, completely ruining any chances of sponsorship.
Canadian immigration lawyers at My Visa Source ensure that you and your loved ones choose the best path to Canada, avoiding common mistakes while maximizing the chance of a successful application.
Start Your Spousal Sponsorship Process Today!
Getting started is simple. Here are the next steps.
Please fill out our Online Assessment Form, it takes less than one minute, or call us toll-free at 1-888-368-4608 to book a consultation.
We have a dedicated immigration team of licensed professionals standing by. Our onboard team would be happy to book a consultation with an award-winning immigration professional either in-person, telephone or Skype to address your immigration and visa questions right now!
Take a Look at Some of our Customer Reviews:
“My husband and I have been using My Visa Source for nearly two years. Their advice is invaluable and we’ve had them by our side for everything from applying for visitor visa extensions to submitting an application for spousal sponsorship.
My husband was granted permanent residency and we never could have gotten to where we are now without them. Trevor and Sonia saved us from an unbelievable amount of needless stress and worry. Also, their rates are completely reasonable and ended up costing us less than I thought it would!” By: Leah B.
“Sonia, Anastasiya and their team were incredibly helpful and thorough to help me renew my permanent residency and spousal sponsorship. Great communication by email and timely assistance. Definitely recommended and will use their services in the future again for sure!” By: Carlos S.
“Needed help with my immigration status in April 2015. No one wanted to take my case since they believed it was difficult or impossible to gain status because of a criminal matter I was facing back then. I was frustrated and crying but Sunny said he’ll help as much as they can to stay in Canada.
After submitting the spousal sponsorship, I was very concerned if I will get an open work permit (OWP) while waiting for my permanent residence approval. My criminal matter was fixed with a discharge and a month after I got my OWP valid for 2 years. I am very happy with the result and I’m now applying for PR approval.
If not for my visa source, I might not have status in Canada. They really know what they are doing, and what I really like the best is every time I have questions they are very happy to answer. Once I get my PR, I will hire my visa source again for my parents So that they could come visit me here in Canada. Thank You so much Sunny, Sonia and Mandeep! I will be forever thankful for everything!” By: Sam M.
“I have researched and used several different Visa lawyers trying to help my spouse immigrate to Canada - this place was the best. Sunny from MyVisaSource was extremely knowledgeable and accessible throughout the entire process. He was very honest and understanding, even if it's not the answer we wanted to hear it was best to know the truth about our situation and associated costs. Highly recommend them to anyone trying to figure out immigration.” By: Casey W.
“I first contacted My Visa Source after visiting their official website, seeing all highly educated information on the work they do, high success rates, awards they have received and testimonies of bringing a loved one here to Canada I felt at ease. What sold me was when I got into contact with Meera Freiwat, case manager of My Visa Source. We had an amazing conversation about me wanting to bring my girlfriend here to Canada who I met in the Philippines and wanting to help her to have a better life. Meera Freiwat was absolutely phenomenal. She set me spirits in high that this would be very much possible based on the information I gave her about me misses. Meera was so friendly, kind, considerate, highly intelligent and amazing professional with her knowledge of immigration, the documents that I would be providing to them and the outstanding work they would be doing on their end to make it as easy, fast and stress free as possible! Up to this point I couldn’t be more satisfied with Meera and her team in keeping me updated, walking me through any questions or concerns I may have. I highly, highly recommend My Visa Source for anyone who is looking to help bring a loved one here to Canada for a better opportunity at life!"
By: Kyle M.