You can now submit your application to obtain proof of citizenship online. The Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship (IRCC)’s online portal will allow you to submit your proof of citizenship application, pay the required fee and upload any supporting documents.
What Is the IRCC’s Online Portal?
The IRCC’s new online portal will allow you to take the following actions:
- Submit a request for replacement of proof of citizenship, also known as Citizenship Certificate, provided you do not need to change any information such as name or birthdate
- Submit a straightforward claim for proof of citizenship by descent
- Submit a request to search citizenship records
The online portal will also allow you to apply for proof of citizenship or a Citizenship Certificate if your Canadian parent:
- Received citizenship on or after April 17, 2009, or
- Was born in Canada on or after February 15, 1977
If the above conditions do not apply to you, then you will be required to submit a paper-based application to receive your Canadian Citizenship Certificate. The IRCC also has an online tool that will allow you to assess your eligibility to apply online. If you are eligible, then you will be required to create a new account or log in with your existing account. You will need an account if you are requesting information on your records. To submit a request for someone else’s record, you will need to submit a paper-based application.