Recently, Canada allowed fully vaccinated US citizens and lawful permanent residents, including those engaging in non-essential travel to enter Canada from the United States. There are many US citizens and residents who want to work in Canada. They can apply for a temporary work permit to the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
How Can Americans Work In Canada?
US citizens are eligible to apply for a Canadian work permit under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP). They may even apply for Canadian permanent residence eventually.
Apart from that, US citizens are eligible to apply for a Canadian work permit under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA). The eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer
- Employed in an occupation listed as eligible under the CUSMA agreement
- Prove your US citizenship
- Demonstrate your work experience and education level that makes you eligible to hold your occupation
- Have a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
Obtaining a positive LMIA is the responsibility of your Canadian employer. A positive LMIA states that the employer conducted sufficient recruitment efforts to hire a Canadian worker for the position being offered to the foreign worker but was unable to find one eligible for the job.